Hiroshima, Day 3

I wish I could live in this hotel so that I could eat breakfast here every day. Today, the miso soup had clams in it. So. Delicious.

We spent the morning at Hiroshima Castle, which has been reconstructed, but it’s still pretty cool. Actually, it was the first castle I’ve ever been inside since I arrived just two minutes late for the last tour of Himeji. Inside the castle was a museum that had some information about castle infrastructure and castle towns and the lives of people who lived within castle towns. There was also some information about local culture and a place to try on traditional dress (which my uncle did). At the top was a viewing area, and even though it was kind of hazy, it was still nice to take in the scenery. We had Japanese-style fast food for lunch and then we said our goodbyes and I began my journey back to Tanegashima.

Information, Japan style

My cab driver this time was much friendlier than the one who took me from the airport to the hotel. We had a nice little chat about my visit to Hiroshima and what Tanegashima was like and then when he found out that I was an English teacher he asked me how to say, “aka shingo ni watasanai de,” which I translated as “Don’t cross on red.” We practiced this a few times and I explained which words meant what and finally he was able to say it pretty decently. Then there was an awkward pause where I tried to decide if it was worth it to ask why he wanted to know how to say that, which I decided it was. He told me that he often sees foreigners crossing the street on red lights and worries for their safety. He wasn’t sure if it was a cultural thing, or if they just didn’t know better, but he thought either way it would be good to tell them in a language they could understand. Then he wanted to know if he would get his point across by yelling “What are you doing?!” out his window as he narrowly avoided running them over. I told him he would, so if anyone is ever in Hiroshima and is getting yelled at in English by a cab driver, that’s my guy.

The plane rides back were uneventful and I made it home just in time to collapse into a heap on the floor.

This entry was posted in In-Transit, japan. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s